Liptovska Mara - the Liptov Sea
Liptovska Mara dam is a sought-after tourist destination under the Tatra peaks. This is the place to spend summer in Liptov!
What you can do here
The "Liptov sea" is a dam on the Vah river, built in the seventies. Its area is 22 square kilometers and the depth reaches 45 m.
Liptovsky Trnovec is the most popular destination for all water sports lovers - there is a campsite, beach, marina, sporting goods rental, minigolf and even a windsurfing school. During the summer sightseeing boats operate from here. There are also other recreational areas - Bobrovnik and Liptovska Sielnica with numerous accommodation possibilities in family houses or guest-houses.
There are many interesting places around Mara:
- White tower of Roman-Catholic church of Virgin Mary, which lurks right from the shore as a symbol of 13 flooded villages under it
- Yacht Club in Liptovsky Trnovec
- Water parks Bešeňová and Tatralandia
- Outdoor celtic archaeological museum on the Havranok hill
- All-wooden articular church in Sv. Kriz
- Organic brewery in Kvacany
- Beaches along the road
For cyclists we suggest a beautiful bike trip around Mara.