Site of a medieval castle that was gradually pulled down, Cerveny Kamen (pronounced CHER-ven-ee KAH-men) retains that castle’s name (from “Rothstein” in German, meaning “red stone”).
The extant castle dates from the 16th century, and was designed by the Thurzo family primarily as a home with a large and defensible built-in storage area for valuable goods. However, due to a change in fortunes partly due to the expense of building the place, it was soon sold to another aristocratic family. It became the family seat of this family, the potent Palffys, and for this reason was damaged in the rebel uprising of 1705.
Frequently restored over the centuries, today Cerveny Kamen houses a remarkable exhibition of furniture and furnishings in its many rooms. It’s museum specializes in the development of the culture of the nobility and bourgeois in Slovakia.
The museum is open throught the year, except Mondays.